What's it like
A typical day on this gap year project
A typical day of volunteering runs as follows:
- In the morning, you'll enjoy breakfast at your accommodation before heading to one of our partner schools to assist with teaching, sports coaching, or building and renovation work.
- You'll break for lunch, during which you can relax in the shade or play with the children at the school.
- After lunch, you'll continue with your volunteering until approximately 3:30pm, when you'll be picked up by our in-country staff and taken back to your accommodation to freshen up.
- Before and after dinner, you can relax at your accommodation, or enjoy an afternoon activity as arranged with your Trip Host. Activities may include visiting a local market, using a local swimming pool, or exploring the local area.
This trip also includes an adventure activity at the weekend, which typically runs as follows:
- You'll travel to Fumba to enjoy the white sandy beaches of Zanzibar’s west coast, before climbing aboard a traditional African dhow boat and heading for the warm waters of the Indian Ocean. You'll snorkel through turquoise waters in search of tropical fish, and take in the idyllic surroundings.
- Next, you'll travel to Menai Bay in search of beautiful humpback and bottlenose dolphins, before enjoying a buffet lunch of seafood and 10 tropical fruits.
- After a gentle stroll around Kwale Island, you'll sail slowly back to Fumba.