Start Date : Every second Sunday throughout the year
When it comes to volunteering in Africa, we are the experts. Our team of international and local staff on the ground run over 80 different volunteer programs in 10 different African countries, so we know first-hand what volunteering can achieve.
We believe in the power of responsible volunteering, which is why every project is run hand-in-hand with local communities and why you can be certain that you will have a safe, fun and rewarding experience in Africa with us!
A Typical Day on this Course
We are based in the tropical coastal town of St Lucia, which in our opinion, is paradise!
Each morning you will wake up to the pitter-patter of monkey footsteps on the roof, before heading off into the rural Zulu villages that surround the town.
This area is thought to have one of the highest rates of HIV in the country, yet suffer from extremely limited medical facilities and trained staff.
Each day (Monday to Friday) you will take part in a variety of different activities, which will include:
- Manning the intake desk at local village clinics
- Tending to patients in their rural homes and huts
- Run HIV education classes for adults, and HIV support groups in the community
- Administer and facilitate a nutrition and physiotherapy program
- Provide home assistance to the chronically ill and elderly
- Ad-hoc tasks including building and refurbishments, farming and supporting families living in poverty
Weekends consist of free time, where volunteers can explore the local area. St Lucia is known to have the highest population of hippos and crocodiles anywhere in South Africa, so a boat cruise is definitely recommended! The area also has many world-famous game reserves nearby, so make sure to go on safari!
Who are we looking for?
Volunteers must be aged 18 or above to participate in this project, however do not require any specific medical experience.
What we can offer you
The project fee entails financing that goes directly back into the project that you are involved with in St Lucia, Zululand.
As well as this, your fee includes:
- Transport between Durban International Airport and your project base on set Sundays only.
- 24/7 support from on-site African Impact staff.
- All transfers and resources that are project related, during your stay.
- Full board and lodging, which includes 3 meals a day at our volunteer house in St Lucia.
- Thorough induction and orientation program, including a security briefing, health and safety briefing, as well as a detailed breakdown of our aims and objectives.
Advert has expired
Sorry, this listing is no longer available. Please check below for current vacancies from this company, or use the menu above to discover similar vacancies from similar companies.